- Directeur(s) de thèse : Nora Seni, Sevket Pamuk (Boğaziçi University), Umut Türem (Boğaziçi University)
Présentation de la thèse et/ou du parcours de recherche
My dissertation project focuses on the changing patterns in seasonal agricultural labour in relation to the geopolitics of migration flows and refugee influx to Turkey, the globalization of the agricultural market and agrarian transformation. I critically discuss how the establishment of structural agrarian transformation is realized through the ethnicization and refugeeization of the agricultural workforce. To that effect, I combine cartographic data with the results of ethnographic fieldwork. I conducted interviews with producers, workers, labour intermediaries and stakeholders from the related state enterprises and NGOs in five different plots, namely: Manisa, Adana, Mersin, Bursa and Şırnak-Cizre.
Axe de recherche de l’IFG Lab
- Etats-nations, nationalismes, minorités
Zone géographique et/ou pays d’étude
- 2018“Syrian Refugees as Seasonal Migrant Workers: Re-Construction of Unequal Power Relations in Turkish Agriculture, Journal of Refugee Studies, DOI: 1093/jrs/fey050[SSCI].
En attente de publication
- Journal Article“Les Réfugiés Ouvriers en Turquie: Le Cas des Migrants Ouvriers et Saisonniers Syrien”, submitted to Migrations Société, Special Issue: Les Migrations en Turquie.
- Journal Article“Ethnic Residential Segregation among Seasonal Migrant Workers: From Temporary Tents to New Rural Ghettos in the Southern Turkey” will be submitted to Journal of Peasant Studies.
- Book Chapter“Women in the Fields, Women in the Tents: Analysis of Seasonal Migrant Workers in Turkish Agriculture from Gender Perspective” will be submitted to an editing book following the National Conference on the Critical Social Sciences: History, Culture and Politics in Modern Turkey.
- “Uncovering the Nature of Labor Process in Turkish Agriculture: Workers, Mobility and Dispossession”, Institut Français d’Etudes Anatolienne, Istanbul, 18 September 2018.
- “Structural Transformation of Agricultural Labor Force in Turkey : Seasonal Migrant Workers in the Processes of Feminization and Ethnicization of Agriculture” (with Cosku Celik), Rural Research Network Meeting, Middle East Technical University, 28 April, 2018
- “Ethnicity or Poverty? Re-Construction of Unequal Power Relations in Rural: The Case of Syrian Seasonal Agricultural Workers” Institut de Recherches Economiques et Sociale, Paris, 21 November, 2017.
- Ethnicity or Poverty? Re-Construction of Unequal Power Relations in Rural: The Case of Syrian Seasonal Agricultural Workers” Institut Français d’Etudes Anatolienne, Istanbul, 12 December, 2016.
- “New Dynamics of Unequal Power Relations in Rural: The Case of Syrian Seasonal Agricultural Workers” Demography Lunch Seminars, Hacettepe University, Institute of Population Studies, Ankara, 22 November, 2016.
- “Seasonal Migrant Workers in Agriculture: The Cases of Ordu and Polatlı”, Panel on Seasonal Labor in Turkey, Bilgi University, Istanbul, 9 June 2010.
- “Ethnic Residential Segregation among Seasonal Migrant Workers: From Temporary Tents to New Rural Ghettos in the Southern Turkey”, Journal of Peasant Studies Annual Summer Writeshop/Workshop in Critical Agrarian Studies, China Agricultural University, Beijing, 1-7 July 2019.
- “Women in the Fields, Women in the Tents: Analysis of Seasonal Migrant Workers in Turkish Agriculture from the Gender Perspective”, National Conference on the Critical Social Sciences: History, Culture and Politics in Modern Turkey, Altinbas University, Istanbul, 14-15 March 2019.
- “‘Dispeasanted Peasants’in the East-West Journey: the Case of Cizre after Forced Migration”, International Symposium Emigration-Immigration as A “Total Social Fact” A Focus on Abdelmalek Sayad’s Work and Thinking”, EHESS, Paris, 26-28 September, 2018.
- “Ethnicity or Poverty? Re-Construction of Unequal Power Relations in the Rural: the Case of Syrian Refugees in Turkish Agriculture”, 5thInternational Seminar Migration and Agriculture in the Mediterranean and beyond, Mucem, Marseille, 15-16 March, 2018.
- “Agrarian Transformation and Seasonal Migrant Workers in Contemporary Turkey”, the 8thAnnual Conference in Political Economy, the Berlin School of Economics and Law, Berlin, 13-15 September, 2017.
- “Syrian Refugees in Rural Turkey” Migration with(out) Boundaries Conference, Michigan State University, East Lansing, 21-22 October, 2016.
- “Syrian Refugees in Turkish Agriculture,” 21stAnnual Association for the Study of Nationalities World Convention, Columbia University, New York, 14-16 April, 2016.
- “Exploitation, Precariousness, Informality in the Labor Market: the Case of Syrian Migrant Workers in Turkish Agriculture,” International Workshop on Social Transformation and International Migration in Turkey, Bogazici University, Istanbul, 8-9 January, 2015
- “Slaves of Modern Times: Seasonal Agricultural Workers in Turkey”, 12. National Social Sciences Congress, Middle East Technical University, Ankara, 15 December, 2011